For those of you that know of my great love for Lilo & Stitch (or those that don’t) I decided to make a list of reasons why I love and adore this movie so much..
1. No princess – I grew up in the age of Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast ..and though Belle from Beauty and the Beast isn’t a “princess” per say as Jasmine and Ariel are.. she’s still viewed as one.. and back then I related to Belle more because she, like myself was a bookworm.. and everything had a fairy tale ended.. the women got their men (though personally I think the beast looked better as a beast than human)
2. No singing! – I freaking hate singing.. it’s just not natural for characters to sing to furniture, or undersea animals to play instruments or a gene to demostrate his powers in front of you before making a wish..
3. No prince – Thank you Disney! Lilo & Stitch has no prince.. Lilo is no princess and that’s why I love it.
4. Dancing (see below)
how can you not love it? I mean really…
4. Hawaii – ok I succumb to the desire to want to see Hawaii now.. especially after the beautiful animation for the opening credits and hearing the beautiful Hawaiian music. I know Disney doesn’t just pull things out of thin air, I’ve seen the documentaries on the making of the Lion King, I know they studied and took pictures and studied and drew and perfected.. this is one of the reason I love Disney.
5. Realism – Lilo is from a broken home.. she’s a bit unbalanced and a bit crazy and Nani is no better.. but we love them both for it..
especially Lilo she feeds Pudge the fish a peanut butter sandwich because she believes he controls the weather
I love the realism.. because you can relate to her.. she’s not some princess living in a castle in an Arab country or some country girl singing in town about the townspeople being stalked but an overly muscular man.. she’s real.
Every little girl knows what it’s like to try to fit in and make friends but knowing no matter how hard you try sometimes it just doesn’t work.
6. Stitch is awesome ! – He makes the intergalatic counsel woman (thing) freak out.. he escapes a space ship, he lands on a planet mostly made of water, alludes capture, impersonates a dog, builds San Fransciso tears it down, reads the Ugly Duckling and relates to it, purrs, drools, causes destruction, dances and plays the guitar
(Stich = awesomeness)
and did I mention he saves the day?
(one of my favorite scenes in the end credits)
And he uses Nani’s bra as a cover for his ears..and a tablecloth for a cape to be Super Stitch.. what’s not to love?
7. Elvis – now I will be the first to admit I’m not a big Elvis fan.. but I really loved the music in the movie
8. Halloween Stitch
(another scene from the end credits)
Lilo is a witch.. which I was several years running as a little girl..
9. Kids love Stitch and he is a money maker… Disney knows that they not only created something different and unique by making Lilo & Stitch but they made a story that everyone can relate to.. it’s the Ugly Duckling rewritten.
(the giant stitch at Downtown Disney in Orlando, FL)
(Lilo & Stitch in Disney.. I got my picture taken with them in Animal Kingdom when we went in 2010.. I was more excited than the kids in line)
the Polynesian resort on Disney Property which is island themed to begin with has all kinds of Lilo & Stitch items..and in visiting it last year I felt like I was in heaven.. the beach area is beautiful with hammocks and loungers and the inside is gorgeous with the pond and sitting area.
Now if you will excuse me I’m going to go watch Lilo & Stitch. ❤